Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Video Games, Chess and Monopoly

Recently I've heard many questions regarding the violence in video games today and whether or not it is connected with the violence we see in the world today. This is probably due to the highly anticipated release of Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA IV) which was yesterday. While I'm not into this particular game it is true that the most popular video games do include killing. But why is this? Why do people enjoy all the killing? Does our society have some major repressed urges to go on a shooting rampage or something? Should we be worried about the kids and what affects these games are having on their brains?

Not being a psychologist I first have to say that I don't know. There may be some validity to these concerns. However, for me, the reason I play these games has nothing to do with the violence.

Consider a game like chess. The object here is to outsmart and kill your opponent. I see little difference to this game compared to the violent shooters I play other than the visual element. And maybe that is enough, I don't know. But I do know that what goes on in my head is very similar whether I'm playing a game of chess or a game of Call of Duty 4. I want to win and my brain is frantically trying to outsmart my opponent in order to kill him. There are no sick twisted thoughts going through my head about actually killing someone when I'm playing these games. It's a just a competition.

That being said, for those who think that shooting games are linked to the increase in school shootings or the gun violence in the world I'd like to purpose that another game, a much older game, be put on the chopping block for putting terrible images and thoughts in people's heads. It is a game responsible for a lot more deaths than shooting games. It's called Monopoly.

Monopoly, the game where you try to take everybody else’s money and make them go bankrupt. What are we teaching kids with this game? The goal is to make as much money as possible while taking as much money as you can from your friends around the table. For decades this game has been producing people who worship money and will do anything to have it. It's no wonder we have the outrageous poverty that exists in the world today. We've been teaching our children that money is a game and that those who don't have enough (or any) must just be bad players at the game. In the mean time people are starving to death while others fly in fancy jets from their houses on the west coast to their houses on the east coast. Let's blame monopoly for world poverty!

Clearly I realize the absurdity of the above paragraph. However, all I wish to say is this. Video games are no more responsible for the violence in the world today than monopoly is responsible for world poverty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey just wanted to let you know that we like your blog so much that we have reviewed on our blog tdgttbb. We would love to hear your comments.
TWT

Anonymous said...

monopoly delux edition (22.95)... new Xbox 360 (349.99)... i'm interested in your thoughts on those economics

View top news My Zimbio
Top Stories