Friday, April 18, 2008

Remember the Lonely

Every couple of weeks I get a reminder of one of the lowest moments of my life. It comes in the form of an email asking me to rejoin an online dating service. I could just label it as junk mail, but I never do. Allow me to explain.

For nearly my entire life up until about two years ago I was single. Not entirely single, certainly there were flings here and there, but still I felt very single. And with being single comes the inevitable struggle with loneliness. When I went away to university this was intensified as I no longer had my best friends to curb this loneliness. Instead I found myself spending a lot of time alone, and the feeling of loneliness soon became unbearable. At my lowest point I snapped one night. Crying and short of breath I couldn’t handle the thought of being alone any more. It is the worst feeling I have ever felt.

Movies often try to portray this moment of loneliness in romance films as the main character is profoundly lonely just before meeting their true love. This attempt doesn’t even come close to what it feels like to be single though. It is a terrible burden that cannot be explained, only experienced, and I was experiencing it. It was very real, and it sucked.

At my lowest point I sunk to searching online dating services. I spent a few hours searching online profiles and trying to contact people in hopes of ending my loneliness. I also joined a few of these sites in hopes that I would get noticed. Even in the midst of it, I felt so pathetic. And yet this is what I had sunk to. I would do anything not to be alone anymore.

Perhaps the worst part of this feeling was the seeming ignorance of my state to everyone else around me. Nobody saw it. And if they did, they didn’t want to deal with it. No one ever wants to take on someone else’s problems. And so, the lonely are left to deal with their loneliness, alone.

I said earlier that every couple of weeks I get an email from one of the sites I had joined that night when I was at my lowest and was desperately crying out for any companionship. This email used to come as an embarrassment. A ‘rubbing it in’ if you will of how low I once stooped. I don’t see this email the same way anymore. Now, it comes as a potent reminder of the horrible loneliness that I went through. Every time I see that email I am forced to ask myself if there are people around me that I know are lonely and am intentionally neglecting. If there are, this email is slap in the face, followed by a “How dare you!”

I could easily just label this email as “junk” and never have to be reminded of it again. But I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do that. I don’t ever want to forget how I felt that night. I don’t ever want to forget that there are people, every night, who feel that way.

9 comments:

Bill said...

S.K.,

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the John Eudes quote.
Bill

S.K. Coddam said...

Hi Bill,

I encountered this quote while reading Henri Nouwen’s The Genesee Diary, it’s a good little book. If you haven’t read it, it’s Nouwen’s diary from his seven month stay at a Trappist Monastery. In it Nouwen talks a lot about solitude and shares what he’s learned from his time being a monk.

My thoughts on the quote. I think the quote almost makes better sense to read the last sentence first. Every time I read this quote I feel lost until the ending and then I have to go back and read the beginning again to put it all together. Anyway, I think the quote is making the point that if I don’t realize that who I am as a human being transcends everything else in this world then I will never be able to get past seeing other people in terms of how this world defines them. The only way to do this is to spend time in solitude. By spending time in solitude we will be able to see past the fancy car, the pretty face, the ugly face, the bank account, the job, the size of the house etc. We will be able to see people the way God sees people.

I still have lots of questions about the quote and certainly don’t think I have it all nailed down. That’s partly whey I posted it, I think it’s a thought provoking quote. For instance, what do you think he means by “God’s transcendent call to each person”? Is he talking about God’s purpose for each person? Or is he referring to something along the lines of we are all defined by our relationship with God?

Thanks for checking out my blog,

Coddam

Anonymous said...

great blog, quote of the day is illuminating, where do you find them all, lincoln one is great, as is the one from waldo, both sweetly encapsulate two of the profound drivers beneath society.
Keep it up.

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

I can't say exactly what Eudes is talking about. First, keep in mind that a concept threads itself through a lot of Eastern thought (mot that Eudes was thinking Eastern), everything comes as pairs. You cannot have one part without the other. You can't have great intimacy without great solitude. They are joined like heads and tails of a coin--the sides merely different ways of looking at one whole.

Another way of saying this. If you can't be at peace with yourself, how can be at peace with another person?

Anonymous said...

hey, we wanted to post about your blog on our site too make sure all our readers can find your blog. Is this alright?
thanks
TWT

S.K. Coddam said...

absolutley, post away

S.K. Coddam said...

Bill, I don't know that it's about being at peace. I think it's more about inner knowledge of yourself and realizing that there is something bigger than all of us that we are all a part of and that only when we realize this can we have authentic community with another person.

Bill said...

how can you relate intimately to another at his or her center from your center...

Center usually means harmony, balance, peace. It means not being swayed by excesses of emotion and thought, the contrivances of the mind. Knowledge isn't the exact word; awareness would be a better choice.

View top news My Zimbio
Top Stories